Covid - 19 Roadmap 2021
Today the Prime Minister set out our roadmap for a cautious easing of national restrictions in England, which will ensure we do not undo the incredible progress we have made so far. Before proceeding to the next step, the Government will examine the data to assess the impact of the previous step. This assessment will be based on four tests:
1. The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully.
2. Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and deaths in those vaccinated.
3. Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put unsustainable pressure on the NHS.
4. Our assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of Concern.
Step 1: 8th March
• Schools and colleges reopen for all students
• Recreation or exercise outdoors with household or one other person. No household mixing indoors.
• Stay at home.
• Funerals of 30, wakes and weddings of 6.
Step 1: 29th March
• Rule of 6 or two households outdoors.
• Outdoor sports and leisure facilities.
• Organised outdoor sport allowed.
• Minimise travel. No holidays.
Step 2: at least five weeks after Step 1, no earlier than 12th April
• Indoor leisure (including gyms) open for use individually or within household groups.
• Rule of 6 or two households outdoors. No household mixing indoors.
• Outdoor attractions such as zoos, theme parks and drive-in cinemas.
• Libraries and community centres.
• Personal care premises.
• All retail.
• Outdoor hospitality.
• All children’s activities.
• Domestic overnight stays (household only).
• Self-contained accommodation (household only).
• Funerals (30), wakes and weddings (15).
• Minimise travel. No international holidays.
• Event pilots begin.
Step 3: no earlier than 17th May
• Indoor entertainment and attractions.
• 30 person limit outdoors.
• Rule of 6 or two households indoors.
• Domestic overnight stays.
• Organised indoor or adult sport.
• Most significant life events (30).
• Remaining outdoor entertainment (including performances).
• Remaining accommodation.
• Some large events: indoor 1,000 or 50%, outdoor 4,000 or 50%, outdoor seated 10,000 or 25%.
• International review – subject to review.
Step 4: at least 5 weeks after Step 3, no earlier than 21st June
• No legal limits on social contacts.
• Larger events.
• No legal limit on all life events.